Simply inscribed "For Excellence in Research", the Research Medal is awarded annually by the University Council. Excellence is most likely to be demonstrated by a sustained record of research of the highest quality or by research of outstanding merit produced over a more limited timeframe. The Research Medal is presented at a special function.
Recipients can be either a full or part-time member of staff at the University; or, have been a member of staff of the university and who have retired no longer than 12 months prior to the end of the year prior.
Recipients of the Research Medal will deliver a public lecture.
Refer to the R&I intranet page for information of the nomination process (staff only).
The Research Medal has been awarded previously to (links will connect to the UC SPARK page of current staff):
- Distinguished Professor David Schiel (2016)
- Professor Jennifer Hay (2015)
- Professor Mike Steel (2014)
- Professor C. Michael Hall (2014)
- Professor Dave Kelly (2013)
- Professor Angus Macfarlane (2013)
- Professor Philip Joseph (2012)
- Professor Douglas Bridges (2011)
- Professor Denis Dutton (2010)
- Professor Jack Copeland (2009)
- Professor Peter Steel (2008)
- Professor Murray Munro (2007)
- Professor John Blunt (2007)
- Professor Jacob Bercovitch (2006)
- Professor Jim Cole (2006)
- Professor Jack Baggaley (2005)
- Professor Robert Ray Jackson (2004)
- Professor James Coxon (2003)
- Professor David Thorns (2002)
- Professor Geoff Stedman (2001)
- Professor Lyle Campbell (2000)
- Professor Leon Phillips (1999)
- Professor Robert Park (1998)