Tech Jumpstart Competition
Following on from a successful Tech Jumpstart in 2016, Research & Innovation (R&I) is once again running the Tech Jumpstart competition with support from KiwiNet in 2017.
Tech Jumpstart gives University of Canterbury academic staff a chance to transform their innovative ideas into reality. Up to five projects will receive $20,000 funding over 6 months to help with technology development, as well as commercialisation support from R&I and possible access to additional funding sources for continued development.
This year both WNT Ventures and Astrolab are each offering a special prize of incubation services alongside the five main cash prizes. The special prizes will be for the projects that show the most commercial promise and incubation services may include:
- Strategic Planning
- Company Structuring
- Market Validation
- Capital Raising
- Financial analysis
- IP Protection and Strategy
- Access to networks
- Any University of Canterbury staff member can apply with their idea or invention.
- Ideas can be from any University research area.
- Ideas must have potential market applications.
- The funds are for experimentation, proof-of concept or technology development projects.
Winners should be ready to begin projects upon funding allocation and be completed within 6 months. Entries will be judged by a panel of local entrepreneurs and UC staff with a track record of innovation.
If you considering entering the competition KiwiNet will be delivering a free Commercialisation 101 Workshop at the University of Canterbury to help in the framing of your idea and developing the application.
What will I learn?
The principles of technology transfer, and how it can align with ongoing research and teaching priorities.
How to strengthen your grant proposals and increase the value proposition of your research.
In those ‘Eureka!’ moments, what comes next? who is there to help?
How the world can be rewarded by access to your innovations, and how you can too.
|Date||Thursday, 8 June 2017|
|Time||10am – 4pm|
|Facilitator||Seumas McCroskery and Alice Marsh – KiwiNet|
Benefits of Tech Jumpstart for Staff
Tech Jumpstart 2016 winners
Associate Professor Renwick Dobson, Dr Deborah Crittenden, Dr Dong Seong Kim, Dr Aaron Marshall (absent)
- Progression of research: Develop your idea by employing student researchers or other expertise and/or purchasing the necessary consumables.
- Opportunity for further funding:Once your project has been successfully executed, Research & Innovation will look to source additional funding for continued development and commercialisation.
- Opportunity to explore entrepreneurship: Winning Tech Jumpstart offers an opportunity to become involved in taking the idea to market.
- Applications close 4 August 2017
- Judging will take place over the following four weeks – shortlisted entrants may be asked to make a short presentation to the judging panel
- Winners announced at a celebration event late September 2017
Apply Now - Applications Close 4 August
R&I is happy to assist you with your application. We can help with the market, competition, value proposition and intellectual property aspects of your application. Contact Cheryl Stephenson for advice and once you’re ready, you can:
- Complete the application form (Word, 63KB)
- Email your application to email@example.com
Tech Jumpstart Awards
R&I will host a celebration event to announce the winning projects on at an awards ceremony in September 2017.
Applicants and others interested are invited to attend. RSVP information will be provided closer to the time.
The Tech Jumpstart competition was first held in 2010. See how some of the projects entered in these competitions have progressed.
See Tech Jumpstart - Past Competitions (staff only) for details.
Major sponsor of Tech Jumpstart
Tech Jumpstart is sponsored by KiwiNet, the Kiwi Innovation Network, a consortium of Universities and Crown Research Institutes who are dedicated to taking a collaborative approach to research commercialisation. For more information see the KiwiNet website.
Special Prize Sponsors
Tauranga-based Technology Incubator WNT Ventures http://wntventures.co.nz/ will offer a special prize for the 2017 Tech Jumpstart competition, for the project that shows the most commercial promise.
Astrolab http://www.astrolab.co.nz/ adopts complex technologies across a range of sectors and will offer a special prize for this year’s Tech Jumpstart competition.