Tech Jumpstart Competition
Research & Innovation (R&I) is once again running a Tech Jumpstart competition with support from KiwiNet.
Tech Jumpstart gives University of Canterbury staff a chance to transform their innovative ideas into reality. Up to three projects will receive $20,000 funding to help with technology development, as well as commercialisation support from R&I and possible access to additional funding sources for continued development.
New for 2016!
WNT Ventures are offering a special prize alongside the three main prizes. More info here.
- Any University of Canterbury staff member can apply with their idea or invention.
- Ideas can be from any University research area.
- Ideas must have potential market applications.
- The funds are for experimentation, proof-of concept or technology development projects.
Winners should be ready to begin projects upon funding allocation, and be keen to pursue commercial outcomes for their idea. Entries will be judged by a panel of local entrepreneurs and UC staff with a track record of innovation.
Benefits of Tech Jumpstart for Staff
- Progression of research: Develop your idea by employing student researchers or other expertise and/or purchasing the necessary consumables.
- Opportunity for further funding: If your project is successful Research & Innovation will look to source additional funding for continued development and commercialisation.
- Opportunity to explore entrepreneurship: Winning Tech Jumpstart offers an opportunity to become involved in taking the idea to market.
- Applications close 15 July
- Judging will take place over the following four weeks – shortlisted entrants may be asked to make a short presentation to the judging panel
- Winners announced at a celebration event on 24 August
Apply Now - Applications Close 15 July
Sandeep George of R&I's Commercialisation Team is happy to assist you with your application. He's happy to help with the market, competition, value proposition and intellectual property aspects of your application. Once you’re ready, you can:
- Complete the application form (Word, 51KB)
- Email your application to email@example.com
Tech Jumpstart Awards
R&I will host a celebration event to announce the winning projects on at an awards ceremony on the 24th of August.
Applicants and others interested are invited to attend. RSVP information will be provided closer to the time.
Tech Jumpstart competition was previously held in 2010, 2012 and 2014. See how some of the projects entered in these competitions have progressed.
See Tech Jumpstart - Past Competitions (staff only) for details.
Major sponsor of Tech Jumpstart
Tech Jumpstart is sponsored by KiwiNet, the Kiwi Innovation Network, a consortium of Universities and Crown Research Institutes who are dedicated to taking a collaborative approach to research commercialisation. For more information see the KiwiNet website.
Special Prize Sponsor
Tauranga-based Technology Incubator WNT Ventures will offer a special prize for this year's Tech Jumpstart competition, for the project that shows the most commercial promise. More info here.